Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ro Randall with a side of loss


During the past two years I have experienced more loss than I ever had in my past twenty-eight. Compared to many others, my losses, although hard, pale in comparison the hardships friends and other family members have experienced. I don’t mean to diminish the deaths of my Uncle Brent and Gido. They had extenuating circumstances that allowed the family time, albeit short, prior to their passing. I don’t know if that time allowed me to process their deaths. I was sad to say goodbye, but I was realistic about it. I loved them both and feel extremely fortunate to have had both of them in my life. Ro Randall’s “Get Real” approach resonated with me. I feel her framework to dealing with Loss and her blogs and creating a safe space allowed me to consider how I could, if I felt the need, deal with loss and do so in a constructive manner.

I found Ro Randall’s blog about creating a safe space refreshingly honest and I immediately felt a sense of comfort. Her style of creating relatable moments and comparing them to life events allowed me to immediately trust her. She created rapport within five or six paragraphs. I’m not a mother, but I found myself imaging the relationship between a mother and her infant. The connection between the two can create a bond that

The loss of a family member forever changes the dynamic of the family. Does climate change translate with people the same way? If it is facilitated in that safe space Randall discusses, I can see the merits in setting up the conversation with the audience in mind and furthering it with the truth (and nothing but the truth!). Can framing climate change in a safe place bring forth the process of dealing with the degradation of our environment? I’m an avoider but I appreciate honesty. Maybe it could work for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Allow me to retract my statement about Randall's "Get Real"...that was obviously Moser.

    ReplyDelete